Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Given two points in the upper half-plane with the usual hyperbolic metric, the geodesic between them is found by drawing a circle through them that crosses the real axis at right angles. However, if I give you coordinates for the points, how do I construct such a circle explicitly? I guess this becomes a question in classical plane geometry, but I don't see how to do it.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The center of the circle lies on the real axis, and also on the perpendicular bisector of the two points, so...

share|cite|improve this answer
What if one of the points lies on the interior of the upper half-plane and the other on the real axis. How to describe the geodesic that goes from the interior point to the boundary point (in infinite time)? – user27347 Nov 13 '12 at 17:06
I thought you wanted a Euclidean geometry construction. The same thing works: – Rahul Nov 13 '12 at 17:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.