Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Title says it all. What's more common? Is there one to prefere (maybe due to some norm)?


$\operatorname{\mathfrak{R}} z, \operatorname{\mathfrak{I}} z$

or that:

$\operatorname{Re}z, \operatorname{Im}z$ ?

share|improve this question
It's not "fractal". It's "fraktur". Wikipedia. –  kahen Nov 10 '12 at 15:55
Thanks, corrected. –  Foo Bar Nov 10 '12 at 15:58
This is an opinion question which is hard to answer. My own sense is that the fraktur notation is a bit older and less common nowadays. –  Grumpy Parsnip Nov 10 '12 at 15:58
Because of Latex I'm actually here. I was wondering if there's a special reason why Latex defaults \Re and \Im to the Fraktur versions. –  Foo Bar Nov 10 '12 at 16:05
I see $\operatorname{Re}z, \operatorname{Im}z$ more often. –  moose Oct 29 '13 at 13:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.