Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a sequence of numbers in a certain order, for example {60,61,62,1,63,,64,102,65,66,200} If this is drawn as a graph, this will be a curve going upwards, but with some aggressive jumps upwards and downwards.

What I'd like to do is to disregard the abnormal data (1,102, 200) that doesn't belong to the dominant data density and be able to say that the dominant curve is going from 60 to 66 and I have a change of +10%.

Where can I start? Is there a procedure for that is statistics?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

I kind of found an answer to this question

a smooth curve can be constructed from this noisy data using moving average

This is also called the sliding window technique

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.