Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a terminology question. I am referring to a sigmoid (S-shape function) in a paper however it is inverted (if the sigmoid is $f(x)$, my function $-f(x)$).

I initially wanted to refer to it as an inverse sigmoid... but I think that would refer to $f^{-1}(x)$ ?

Any help welcome! thank you

share|cite|improve this question
I do not think "inverted sigmoid" would refer to $f^{-1}(x)$. Maybe "inverse sigmoid" would, but even that probably needs more explanation before using it. – GEdgar Nov 8 '12 at 15:57
good point, I edited the post – John Nov 9 '12 at 12:18
Another option could be additive inverse. – Pedro Tamaroff Dec 8 '12 at 2:34
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I suppose that negated is the right name: $f(x)$ negated is $-f(x)$

share|cite|improve this answer

If you multiplied by $-1$ then the symbol is $-f(x)$. If you found the inverse function (then the composition is the identity) then the symbol is $f^{-1}(x)$

share|cite|improve this answer
hi tota, thanks for your input. My question is actually, how do you call -f? – John Nov 8 '12 at 12:45
We call in mathematics the "opossite function " I think, (my tongue language is sapnish, in spanish we call the "opuesta" – tota Nov 8 '12 at 13:21
opposit is the correct term for an additive inverse in all algebraic structure with an addition. – tota Nov 8 '12 at 13:41
I am not familiar with this terminology, although I think I would probably guess correctly what was meant. "Opposite sigmoid" is a perfectly good name, but I would advise you to explain in the paper what you mean by it. – Matthew Pressland Nov 8 '12 at 13:43

I agree with graziano governatori that "negated sigmoid" is a good name.

Another possibility is "reflected sigmoid".

But as Matt Pressland wrote, whatever terminology you chose in the end you should clearly define it.

share|cite|improve this answer

It depends on what you want to stress. If you only mean a left-right flipped S shape, I think it is usually called a "negative sigmoid" (example 1 on p.4, example 2, example 3 on p.4). However, logistic-like functions with negative parameters such as $1/(1+e^{-(-x)})$ are also called negative sigmoids. Certainly, such functions can be written in the form of $$\mathtt{constant} + \mathtt{negative\ multiple} * \mathtt{some\ sigmoid}(x),$$ but the stress here is the shape of the curve rather the negative multiple itself.

If you want to stress that the function is constructed by multiplying a sigmoid function by a negative number, I don't know the proper name, but I agree with the others here that "negated sigmoid" is a good name. Yet, a google search on "negated sigmoid" returns only 25 results. So this is perhaps not a very common name.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.