Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

$$mc^2.$$ is called an expression. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to see this expression as $$m * c^2.$$ Here, one of the expression's factors is $m$. Is there a general name for the factors of an expression, or can I just call them however I like?

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by rschwieb, Pedro Tamaroff, J. M., user86418, Lost1 Feb 28 '14 at 0:17

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

$m$ is a multiplier and $c^2$ is a multiplicand, when you multiply them you get a product. Both $m$ and $c^2$ are factors of that product. –  glebovg Nov 6 '12 at 19:14
Multiples...? Of course, here m = mass (in kilograms), c=light's speed in meters by second., and thus the energy E is given in kg*m^2/s^2 , which is Joules. –  DonAntonio Nov 6 '12 at 19:20
@DonAntonio I am not sure, but I think this question has nothing to do with physics. –  glebovg Nov 6 '12 at 19:22
If multiplication is all you are talking about, then the general name for factors in this sense is factors. –  rschwieb Nov 6 '12 at 20:11

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

m is a multiplier of c^2 and c^2 is a multiplier of m. So generally speaking m and c^2 are multipliers, because its a product these two variables are called factors.

By expression I guess you mean the whole equation and not only c^2!

share|improve this answer
You're right, thanks. I thought there might be a general name for it, but I'll stick with Factor. I'm developing a sort-of unit converter, so I wanted to name my classes correctly. :) –  timvermeulen Nov 6 '12 at 19:46
Like I said the number that comes first in a product is often called a multiplier and the second number is a multiplicand, but since multiplication is commutative (in this case), it does not matter so I guess you could simply call them factors. –  glebovg Nov 6 '12 at 21:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.