Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have read that if $A$ is Lebesgue-measurable, then there exists Borel sets $B,C$, with $B\subset A\subset C$, such that $m(B) = m(C) = m(A)$. It is clear for me that such a set C exists, just by taking intersections of unions of rectangles covering $A$. But I don't see how to obtain the set $B$.

Thank you!

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Take complements of intersections of unions of rectangles covering the complement.

share|cite|improve this answer
That was simple! Thank you! – Ferenc Nov 5 '12 at 23:04

This can depend on how you define Lebesgue measurable sets.

One common definition (or provably equivalent) is that $A$ is Lebesgue measurable if $A=B\cup N$ where $B$ is Borel and $N$ is a subset of a Borel set of measure zero.

In this case by definition if $A$ is Lebesgue measurable then there is some $B$ which is Borel and $A\setminus B$ is a subset of measure zero, and therefore has the same measure, and on the other hand $N\subseteq D$ where $D$ is Borel of measure zero, so $A\subseteq B\cup D$ and the same argument shows that the measure is preserved.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.