Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sometimes operands for a specific operation are given a special name. For example, in division the first operand is a quotient, the second is a divisor. Is there a word that means "one of the operands in a scalar multiplication"?

(I'm trying to figure out a concise name for some variables in my code; the purpose of these variables is essentially to be multiplied.)

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I've heard of the usage "multiplicand" $\times$ "multiplier" $=$ "product".

share|cite|improve this answer

You could also use the word "factor".

share|cite|improve this answer

I would use the word "multiplicand".

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.