Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for the terms to use for particular types of diagonals in two dimensional matrices. I have heard the longest diagonal, from top-left element and in the direction down-right often called the "leading diagonal".

-What about the 'other' diagonal, from the top right going down-left? Does it have a common name?

-Any general name to use for any diagonal going top-left to bottom-right direction, not necessarily just the longest one(s)? I am searching for a term to distinguish between these types of diagonals and the ones in the 'other' direction. Preferably the term should not be restricted to square matrices.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

$\diagdown$ Major, Principal, Primary, Main; diagonal $\diagdown$

$\diagup$ Minor, Counter, Secondary, Anti-; diagonal $\diagup$

share|cite|improve this answer

The diagonal from the top left corner to the bottom right corner of a square matrix is called the main diagonal or leading diagonal.

The other diagonal from the top right to the bottom left corner is called antidiagonal or counterdiagonal.

You can also define the main diagonal and antidiagonal of a rectangular matrix. See here for more.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.