Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that the definition of a continuous mapping between two topologies is defined as:

For $\mathcal{X}$ and $\mathcal{Y}$ and $f$ such that $f:\mathcal{X}\rightarrow \mathcal{Y}$ if $f^{-1}$ maps open sets in $\mathcal{Y}$ to $\mathcal{X}$ then $f$ is continuous.

However I was wondering if instead of $f^{-1}$ mapping open set to open sets what if $f$ maps open sets to open sets?

I know that this does not define continuity but does it define anything that is in anyway useful? (It obviously defines something)

I mean I can see that any homeomorphism satisfies this property so I'm thinking its maybe not that important?

Thanks for any help

share|improve this question
It's called "open map". –  Rudy the Reindeer Oct 29 '12 at 14:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.