Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Consider the following set $A$ that contains $N$ subsets of cardinality $K$. In this example, N=4 and K=3:

$$ A=\{\{5, 10, 8\}, \{1, 10, 4\}, \{6, 12, 2\}, \{3, 3, 10\}\} $$

I would like to write an expression that considers only the subsets of set $A$ which contain a specific value $x$. For instance, if $x=10$, then the subsets $A_1$, $A_2$ and $A_4$ should be considered because they have at least one element that has a value equal to $10$.

Thanks in advance.

share|cite|improve this question
Note that the last set in $A$ has only two elements. $\{3,3,10\}=\{3,10\}$. Also note that you are talking about elements of $A$ containing $x$ rather than its subsets. – Asaf Karagila Oct 28 '12 at 16:18
Good point, thanks. How can I refer to the subsets then? Can I say something like: Each $A_i$ element of set $A$ is a subset of cardinality $K$? – limp Oct 28 '12 at 16:47
When you say it is a subset you may want to specify: a subset of what? Every set is surely a subset of itself. As for the cardinality, you can simply say that If $B\in A$ then $|B|=K$ or If $B\in A$ then $B$ is a subset of ... with exactly $K$ elements. – Asaf Karagila Oct 28 '12 at 16:49
Thanks. What if $B$ is a subset of 3 sets? What would be the correct way to express that? For instance, if $C_1 = \{5,6\}$, $C_2 = \{10,12\}$ and $C_3 = \{8,4\}$ then each $B$ has one element of each of the $C_1$, $C_2$, $C_3$ sets. Thanks – limp Oct 28 '12 at 17:03
I've lost you completely. Mostly because of the unclear use of "subset". We say that $B$ is a subset of $C$ if and only if every element of $B$ is an element of $C$. If $B$ has only one element from $C_1$, then it is not a subset of $C_1$. – Asaf Karagila Oct 28 '12 at 17:09
up vote 2 down vote accepted

There is no particular notation for this sort of thing. In particular because $A$ itself is not a full power set, but rather a small collection.

In the broader context, one can talk about "all subsets of $A$ containing a point $a$", this is also known as the principal ultrafilter concentrating on $\{a\}$, and many ad-hoc notations are $\mathcal F_a$, or so. In this aspect you could write $\mathcal F_a\cap A$, perhaps.

My usual advice is either to avoid excessive notation, it is best to be abundant but clear, and just give a particular name. E.g.:

Let $S$ be the set $\{B\in A\mid 10\in B\}$.

Or if you prefer to make this a general construction you could perhaps do this:

For a collection of sets $A$, let $A_x$ be the set $\{B\in A\mid x\in B\}$.

This way we don't limit ourselves to a particular $A$ or a particular value of $x$.

share|cite|improve this answer
@Henning: Thanks! – Asaf Karagila Oct 28 '12 at 16:34
Thanks! I guess that your way of expressing it is a but more generic than $S = \{Y \in A; x \in Y\}$ but both of them seem correct. – limp Oct 28 '12 at 16:50
@limp: The usage of a semicolon is nonstandard. Namely $\{Y\in A; x\in Y\}$ is not a common way to write a set; whereas $\{Y\in A:x\in Y\}$ is, as well the use of a pipe as in my post above. – Asaf Karagila Oct 28 '12 at 16:51
Got it now, thanks. – limp Oct 28 '12 at 16:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.