Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have defined this simple sheaf. Take $E:set, B:set, p:E\to B$. Let $P(B)$ be a set of subsets of $B$. Let $S$ be the set of sections of $p$. Let $F$ be a contravariant functor from $P(B)$ as a poset category to $Set$ which sends:

  • objects: $B'$ to ($S$ with elements restricted to $B'$);
  • morphisms: an inclusion to the restriction of functions;

and the discrete topology on $P(B)$ and obvious gluing. I call $F$ the “sheaf of sections”, is there a standard name? Was anybody studying it? (Perhaps it is too simple.) A motivation is that sections can be identified with functions of a dependent type which generalize typed tuples.

share|cite|improve this question

If I read that right, you're just looking at the sheaf of sections of E->B, with E, B sets, B with topology P(B) [If by P(B) you meant the power set, the discrete topology]. I don't think these examples are particularly popular, but you can treat them like any other sheaves of sets (see, perhaps, MacLane-Moerdijk, Sheaves in Geometry and Logic).

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.