Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just a simple question.

Let $f(x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n)$ be a smooth function. Is there a particular name for the function

$$\frac{\partial^n f}{\partial x_1 \, \partial x_2 \cdots \partial x_n}$$

share|cite|improve this question
I don't know any particular name for this. But if you want to think about $n$th derivatives of products/compositions/quotients/whatever, then _first_ think about the problem with _this_ kind of $n$th derivative, and afterwards with $\partial^n f/\partial x^n$, etc. – Michael Hardy Oct 28 '12 at 3:09
It doesn't usually have a name. Since it's not coordinate-change invariant (see the chain rule), it's not a geometrically-interesting concept. – Ryan Budney Oct 28 '12 at 3:17
up vote 3 down vote accepted

This does not have a name. We call it the $n$-th partial difference of $f$ w.r.t. the vector $x$ or variables $x_1$, $x_2$, ..., $x_n$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.