Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What does the notation $$\langle u, v \rangle_{H^{-1}, H^1}$$ mean? Is it simply $u(v)$ or does it have something to do with inner products on $H^{-1}$ and $H^1$?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Just a notation: it says that $u \in H^{-1}$, that $v \in H$, and that $u$ acts on $v$ as $u(v)$.

share|cite|improve this answer
If we are talking about Bochner spaces eg. $L^2(0,T,H^1)$, when do we use $\langle u, v \rangle_{something} = \int_0^T \langle u, v \rangle$? – hopo2 Oct 24 '12 at 20:36
Is $H^{-1}$ defined via the Fourier transform, the way it is for $H^s$ for any real $s$, or is $H^{-1}$ something else? – Stefan Smith Mar 14 '13 at 0:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.