Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is a kind of silly question, but I don't know where else to ask. Suppose I wanted to say "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" but with $K(\pi,n)$ substituted for "pipe." Would the article be "un" or "une"?

In case there are additional complications in the translation: What would be the French for "This is not a $K(\pi,n)$," where "this" refers to a picture over/under/beside the text?

share|cite|improve this question
What is $K(\pi,n)$ ? – Phira Oct 23 '12 at 23:43
Maybe it is better to say "Ceci n'est pas un espace $K(\pi,n).$ – Andrew Oct 23 '12 at 23:49
@Phira: an Eilenberg-Maclane space. – zyx Oct 23 '12 at 23:53
But maybe "un $K(\pi,n)$" works, suppressing "espace", which would be understood. – Andrew Oct 23 '12 at 23:57
You should check Serre's foundational paper on the homotopy groups of spheres! (I'd imagine it's in French?) – Aaron Mazel-Gee Oct 24 '12 at 0:30

You would use the same gender that the object's name has. For example, one could say:

Ceci n'est pas un $\triangle$ beside the picture of a square, but one could say

"Voici la $\mathscr{L}(cos(t))$" besides the expression of $\cos(t)'s$ Laplace transform.

share|cite|improve this answer
So if I wanted to say "this is not a $K(\mathbb Z,1)$" beside a picture of a circle (which is, incidentally, a $K(\mathbb Z,1)$), would I use the gender for espace, cercle, or the letter K? (I guess in this case they are all the same, but I'd like to know how this works.) – Charles Staats Oct 24 '12 at 0:23
Well, you'd be correct since it's just a picture of a $K(\mathbb{Z},1)$. – Aaron Mazel-Gee Oct 24 '12 at 0:27
From your comment underneath your question, you say $K(Z,1)$ is a Maclane space, so in french, Un espace de Maclane. You would say Ceci n'est pas un $K(Z,1)$ – Jean-Sébastien Oct 24 '12 at 0:34

Espace and K both take "un".$\quad$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.