Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does the "Time Displacement" property of a wave function have an associated symbol?

Amplitude = $\hat U$

Period = $T$

Ordinary frequency = $f$

Angular frequency = $ω$

Phase = $ϕ$

Time Displacement = ?

The term appears in my college lecture notes:

enter image description here

share|cite|improve this question
Is this even a mathematical term? – tomasz Oct 21 '12 at 9:24
$\mathrm d t$? $\Delta t$? – Frenzy Li Oct 21 '12 at 9:26
@tomasz I am asking because it appears in my college notes, so maybe - maybe not. It is calculated ϕ/ω so might just be my lecturer's weird way of saying phase shift – jsj Oct 21 '12 at 9:28
I would use $t_1$ – Elements in Space Jan 5 '13 at 16:57
up vote 3 down vote accepted

For this analogy assume $\alpha > 0$.

The author of that text is simply using the term time displacement to mean the time it would take the lagging function to achieve the same $y$ value (displacement, field magnitude etc.) as the leading function.

In that sense $\Delta t$ is not a bad choice for a symbol. Especially considering that distance displacement is commonly represented by the symbol $\Delta x$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Physicists use $t$ for time, the variable, units second.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.