Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Show that the following function is uniformly continuous on $(-1,1)$

$$f(x) = \begin{cases} {x \sin \frac{1} {x}}, & \text{ } x\in(-1,0)\cup(0,1) \\ 0, & \text{ }x = 0. \end{cases} $$

We cannot use the theorem that a continuous function on a compact set K is continuous on K, because we don't have a compact set. I was told the following hint: "if a function is uniformly continuous on a set then it is also uniformly continuous on any subset of this set". I don't know exactly what to do with this information, can you help me ? :)

I know the definition of uniform continuity, I (should) know what open, closed, compact sets are.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Hint: Show that you can extend the definition to $[-1,1]$ and that it is continuous on the closed interval. Then use the theorem about uniform continuity.

share|cite|improve this answer
Very fast way to have the conclusion (+1). Good to know that $f(x)=\sin(1/x)$ fails to be U.C. in $(-1,1)$. – Babak S. Oct 20 '12 at 19:14
So you suggest that I define f(1)= sin(1) and f(-1)= - sin(-1), then show that the function is continious. Continious functions on a compact set are uniformly continious, and then use the hint, namely a (-1,1) is a subset of [-1,1] ? – Applied mathematician Oct 20 '12 at 19:33
Yes, there is no problem with that. The "magic" happens at $x=0$ anyway. – Hagen von Eitzen Oct 20 '12 at 19:39
@Hempo: Yes, exactly. – Asaf Karagila Oct 20 '12 at 20:15
@Hempo: Is there a particular reason for which you unaccepted the answer? – Asaf Karagila Nov 3 '12 at 22:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.