Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $A$ is a (possibly infinite) set.

Let $G$ is a group of functions (more precisely, bijections) on $A$ with function composition.

How to call such a group?

  • a group of permutations of $A$;
  • a group of bijections on $A$;
  • whatever.
share|cite|improve this question
I think that the usual notation is permutations, but the other two are also appropriate ;) – N. S. Oct 13 '12 at 18:39
Also the usual way to write the first two sentences is "Let A be a..." – Idan Oct 13 '12 at 18:52
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I think it's typical to say:

"$G$ is a permutation group on $A$".

If we do a Google Scholar search for "G is a permutation group on" (in quotes), it comes up with numerous respectable examples of this phrase being used.

share|cite|improve this answer

This group G is commonly called "the symmetric group on A", especially if A is finite. A shorthand notation is $S_A$.

share|cite|improve this answer
Porton's group $G$ is a subgroup of $S_A$, not necessarily the whole group. – Derek Holt Oct 13 '12 at 20:18
You are correct! I apologize for reading too hastily. – jalfano Oct 13 '12 at 21:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.