Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have it that $K/F$ is a (finite) field extension, what is the definition of when $K/F$ is called cyclic ?

I heard it while I studied Galois theory and it was defined as

$K/F$ is called cyclic if $Gal(K/F)$ is a cyclic group

where the notation $Gal$ means that $K/F$ is also Galois.

Does, in general, it means $Aut(K/F)$ is cyclic, without the requirement that the extension is Galois ? (how it is defined in the literature/what is the convention ?)

share|cite|improve this question
I've never seen the term used without the hypothesis that the extension is Galois. Calling $\mathbb Q(\sqrt[3]2)/\mathbb Q$ cyclic is strange! :P – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Oct 11 '12 at 8:11
@MarianoSuárez-Alvarez - I guess you are right. Do you want to make this an answer so I can accept ? – Belgi Oct 11 '12 at 8:54
You can make the following definition. Let $ \mathbb{K} $ be a field and $ \mathbb{F} $ a subfield. We say that $ \mathbb{K}/\mathbb{F} $ is a cyclic field extension if and only if $ \mathbb{K}/\mathbb{F} $ is Galois and $ \text{Gal}(\mathbb{K}/\mathbb{F}) $ is a cyclic group. – Haskell Curry Jan 25 '13 at 7:18
up vote 4 down vote accepted

An extension of fields $K/L$ is called Galois if its both separable and normal. An extension is called abelian if $K/L$ is Galois and the Galois group $\mathrm{Gal}(K/L)$ is abelian and cyclic if the Galois group is cyclic.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.