Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for the technical term for an element of a transformation semigroup that sends everything to one state. The best term I could think up was filter.

For those that don't know a trasformation is like a permutation, except you can have repeated entries.

Identity permutation/transformation

[1,2,3,4] [1->1, 2->2, 3->3, 4 ->4]

Legal permutation/transformation

[2,1,4,3] [1->2, 2->1, 3->4, 4->3]

Illegal permutation, legal transformation:

[1,1,3,4] [1->1, 2->1, 3->3, 4->4]

Transformations I would like to know the technical term for:





share|cite|improve this question
what about "constant transformation"? – Xabier Domínguez Oct 10 '12 at 21:57
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The correct term is constant transformation; see

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks. I had a finite state machine where on some inputs was being collapsed to constant transformations, allowing it to be shrunk in memory. Interesting short paper. – Chad Brewbaker Oct 11 '12 at 16:12
In automata theory the word "reset" is also used and a word in the generators which represents a constant transformation is often called a synchronizing word or reset word. – Benjamin Steinberg Sep 11 '13 at 2:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.