Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just as the title says: is there a formal name for a convex polygon on a sphere, of which the vertices are connected not by great circle but by small circle segments?

My end goal is to intersect two (or more) of such shapes, and find the area of the shape where the two small-circle polygons overlap. It would therefore be helpful to get to know some basic and/or special properties of such shapes, what equations apply, etc.

share|cite|improve this question
Why not just "spherical polygon" as in "spherical triangle" – Maesumi Oct 11 '12 at 14:33
@Maesumi: because such shapes are defined to be connected by great circle segments (the spherical analogue of a straight line); see the first sentence in the paragraph "Lines and angles on a sphere" in your link. – Rody Oldenhuis Oct 11 '12 at 14:35
I see. Finally! I don't have an answer but in flat 2D there are specialized cases like and the more general "circular triangle", a triangle whose sides are circles. – Maesumi Oct 11 '12 at 16:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.