Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a three-dimensional vector space over integers: $\mathbb{Z}^3$.

I want to split it up into $n$ partitions. For $n=2$ I would simply split it into two sets, one where $x$ just has even numbers,and one where $x$ is odd. But how to do it for $n > 2$? I need some generalization, but lack the math skills. Also just $x$ and $y$ should be used for partitioning, all possibilities for, lets say $(1,1,z)$ should be in one set.

share|cite|improve this question
Since $\mathbb{Z}$ is not a field what you have is not a vector space, it is a module – Belgi Oct 9 '12 at 6:25
Oh, okay... I haven't had much linear algebra in my studies, sorry :) – K.. Oct 9 '12 at 6:29
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It is technically not a vector space, since $\mathbb{Z}$ is not a field.

There are many ways to partition. For example, throw $(x,y,z)$ and $(u,v,w)$ into the same bin if $x+y+z$ and $u+v+w$ have the same remainder on division by $n$.

share|cite|improve this answer
So simple... thank you :) and if I wanted this independent from the z value, I would throw (x,y,z) and (u,v,w) into the same bin when x+y and u+v have the same remainder? – K.. Oct 9 '12 at 6:33
Sure, there are any number of variant ideas. And I chose remainders because I am number-theoretically minded, but something quite different may be more suitable for the application you have in mind. If that were more closely specified (preferably in another question) I am sure you would be given more directly relevant ideas. – André Nicolas Oct 9 '12 at 6:37
I will do this, thank you :) – K.. Oct 9 '12 at 6:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.