Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen the function $f(x)=\displaystyle \frac{e^x-1}x$ many places, most notably the definition of the Todd class. Is there a consensus on what it's name is? I couldn't find one on Wikipedia or Googling, but my brain thinks I knew one at one point.

share|cite|improve this question
The reciprocal of $f$ appears in the definition of Bernoulli numbers. – lhf Oct 7 '12 at 2:36
$z \cot z =z +\frac{1}{f(2iz)}$ – PAD Oct 7 '12 at 9:59
It seems this function has no name shorter than $\displaystyle \frac{e^x-1}x$. Well, maybe ${}_1F_1(1,2,x)$. – GEdgar Oct 7 '12 at 20:02
It is Newton's quotient for $\exp$ at $0$ but that's neither short nor very clear... – lhf Oct 9 '12 at 11:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.