Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Every group of order $231$ is the direct product of a group of order $11$ and a group of order $21$.

By Sylow's theorem, we know there are one Sylow-7 subgroup, one Sylow-11 subgroup (these two are normal, for sure), and some Sylow-2 subgroups.

What does the "direct product" mean in this context? Thanks.

share|cite|improve this question
@QiaochuYuan In that wiki page, $|G\times H|=|G||H|$, which seems not true in this context. :) – Vladimir Oct 7 '12 at 2:11
I don't follow. The last time I checked, $231 = 11 \cdot 21$. – Qiaochu Yuan Oct 7 '12 at 2:20
@QiaochuYuan Hmmm... I was writing it as a "direct product" of a Sylow-7, a Sylow-11 and some Sylow-3 subgroups, whose intersection with each other are all trivial. So in fact, this is not a direct product... Could you show me how to deal with it? – Vladimir Oct 7 '12 at 2:30
The Sylow $3$-subgroup and the Sylow $7$-subgroup need not commute with each other in general. – Qiaochu Yuan Oct 7 '12 at 3:17

It means there is a group $\langle G, \star\rangle $ of order 11, and a group $\langle H, \ast\rangle$ of order 21, so that your group of order 231 has elements of the form $(g, h)$ where $g\in G$ and $h\in H$, and a group operation that operates componentwise, so that $(g,h)\cdot(g', h') = (g\star g', h\ast h')$, and $(g, h)^{-1} = (g^{-1}, h^{-1})$.

share|cite|improve this answer

It means that there exist two normal subgroups $K_1$ and $K_2$ such that $K_1\cap K_2=\{e\}$ and every element in the group can be written as $k_1k_2$, with $k_1\in K_1$, $k_2\in K_2$.

This is equivalent to saying that the group is isomorphic to $K_1\times K_2$ with the entrywise operation.

(if you are familiar with the direct sum, it is exactly the same idea but with the operation written multiplicatively).

share|cite|improve this answer
i.e. $K$ is an internal direct product of $K_1$ and $K_2$ – Kris Oct 6 '12 at 22:49
Thanks. So in this context, it suffices to see if the intersection of those two subgroups is trivial, right? – Vladimir Oct 7 '12 at 0:33
Yes, because then the product will have exactly 231 elements and it will have to be the whole group. – Martin Argerami Oct 7 '12 at 1:00
Note that the subgroups $K_1$ and $K_2$ have to be normal. – Mikko Korhonen Oct 12 '12 at 8:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.