Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Why are locally compact groups Weil complete?

Note: A topological group $G$ is Weil complete if every left Cauchy net in $G$ is convergent.

Thank you, and sorry if I have bad writing.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Take a left Cauchy net $(u_i)$. Choose $V$ a compact neighborhood of $1$. Using the Cauchy property, you should be able to show that for some $j$, for all $i>j$, $u_i$ lies in a translation of $V$, hence in a compact space. so you can extract a converging subset from $u_i$. and when you can extract a converging subnet from a Cauchy net it has to converge to the limit of the extraction. (direct consequence of the Cauchy property)

share|cite|improve this answer
:How can conclude from subnet Convergence ,Convergence net?please more explain it. – Wreza Shafaghi Oct 5 '12 at 17:42
Exactly as you would do with a sequence on a metric space : You have $(u_i)$ a cauchy net and $(u_j)$ a subnet converging to $u$. Take $V$ a neighborhood of $u$, and $V'$ a neighborhood of $0$ such that if $(u-x)$ and $(x-a)$ are in $V'$ then $a$ is in $V$. write the cauchy propertie for $V'$, then write that there is therm of $(u_j)$ which is $V'$ close to $u$ for $j$ big enough to be converne bu the previous cauchy propertie you wrote, you can deduce from those two thing, that for any $i$ concerne bu the cauchy properties, $u_i$ is in $V$. – Simon Henry Oct 6 '12 at 8:26
(I wrote as if the group was commutative, but that doesn't change anything if it is not, this will work in an arbitrary uniform space) – Simon Henry Oct 6 '12 at 8:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.