Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $u$ be a harmonic function on $\mathbb R^n$. We know that if $B$ is a ball centered at $x$, then

$$u(x) = \frac{1}{|B|} \int_B u(y) dy = \frac{1}{|\partial B|} \int_{\partial B} u(z) dS(z).$$

I am wondering if there is an analagous result with the ball $B$ replaced by a different set, perhaps an $n$-cube or an ellipsoid. Is such a generalize mean value formula possible?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Not quite, but for any (sufficiently nice, certainly for ellipsoids or cubes) domain $D$ and point $x \in D$ there is a "harmonic measure" $\omega_{x,D}$ on $\partial D$ such that the value of a harmonic function $u(x)$ is the average of the boundary values with respect to the measure $\omega_x$, i.e., $$ u(x) = \int_{\partial D} u(z) \, d\omega_{x,D}(z).$$ It is in general not possible to write down explicit expressions for harmonic measure, even for relatively simple domains (like cubes or ellipsoids), but there are good estimates and numerical techniques for harmonic measure computations.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.