Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For the space of all continuous functions we can have the sup norm:


I have also seen the following norm: $|f|=\sup|f(x)|/|x|$

I don't know what this norm is called and therefore can't find any information on it. What is the distinction?

what is this norm called? is the space $C[0,1]$ with this norm still complete?

share|cite|improve this question
The norm you are thinking of (I am guessing) is the operator, or induced norm for a linear function. If $f$ is linear, we can define $\|f\| = \sup_{x \neq 0} { \|f(x)\| \over \|x\|}$. – copper.hat Nov 5 '14 at 5:34

$||f||:=\sup_{x\in(0,1]}\frac{|f(x)|}{|x|}$ is not a norm because $||f||$ may be infinite, for example consider $f(x)=\sqrt x$ (also $x=0$ hat to be excluded from the definition in the first place).

However, if you consider the subspace $V\subset C([0,1])$ of continuous functions for which the result is finite, then we have the map $V\to C([0,1])$, $f\mapsto(x\mapsto xf(x))$, which is an isometric embedding.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.