Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Given the functions $f\colon A\to B$ and $g\colon B\to B$, a common, useful strategy is to define a new function $h\colon A\to A$ as the composition $f^{-1}\circ g\circ f$.

There seem to be many applications and conceptually similar maneuvers, ranging from the "Schwarzian transform" (used in programming to sort arbitrary data without redundant key computation) to Fourier convolution ($f * g = \mathcal{F}^{-1}\{\mathcal{F}\{f\}\cdot \mathcal{F}\{g\}\}$).

Is there a standard name for this general pattern of composition?

share|cite|improve this question
It's almost conjugation. And can probably be interpreted as such with minor adjustments to the setting. – Hagen von Eitzen Sep 28 '12 at 19:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.