Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have two sets of numbers. The first set is 1 to 4. The second set is 0 to 190. What is the calculation to get the proportionate number in the second set if a number in the first set is, for example, 1.2? Math is not my forte!

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It is $\displaystyle\frac{1.2-1}{4-1}\cdot (190-0) +0$.

share|cite|improve this answer
Can you express that equation without the fraction? For a programming equation? – user1342133 Sep 27 '12 at 23:19
If your input is $x$, then to go from $[1,4]$ to $[0,190]$, compute $(x-1)*190/3$. – Théophile Sep 27 '12 at 23:32
That's it, thanks! – user1342133 Sep 27 '12 at 23:37

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.