Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a function $f : A \to B$ and an inverse $f^{-1} : B \to A$, and the only property of the inverse is that $(f \circ f^{-1} \circ f)(x) = f(x)$. In particular, it is not necessarily true that $(f^{-1} \circ f)(x) = x$. I normally associate this property with inverses, so what should I call $f^{-1}$?

share|cite|improve this question
Are you trying to say that $f^{-1}$ is a right-inverse, but not a left-inverse? – Rod Carvalho Sep 21 '12 at 21:24
It certainly appears that that is the case and here for a bit more reading – Ghost Sep 21 '12 at 21:39
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Such things come up in the theory of von Neumann regular rings. The object is sometimes called a pseudoinverse, but several different items are called by that name. It is called a pseudoinverse in the theory of regular semigroups.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.