Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do you call a convention by which any binary operator is an unary one returning another unary operator?

$F(x,y)\equiv (F(x))(y)$

This convention is used in functional programming languages. I want to know what is the name of this convention and may be after which scientist it is named if it did.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Transforming a function $$f:A\times B\to C$$ into $$g:A\to (B\to C)$$ is referred to as currying. It is named after the mathematician Haskell Curry.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.