Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $S$ be a graded noetherian ring and $M$ a finitely generated graded $S$- module. Then I know that there exists a filtration

$$0=M_0 \subseteq M_1\subseteq \cdots \subseteq M_r=M$$ by graded submodules such that for each $i$, $M_i/M_{i-1}=(S/P_i)(l_i)$ for some homogeneous prime ideal $P_i$ of $S$ and $l_i$ integer, where $(S/P_i)(l_i)$ shift module.

I wonder if $M$ can be expressed in the form $(S/P)(l)$ for some homogeneous prime ideal of $S$. Is it possible?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I think it is generally not true.

Let $S=k$ be a field with trivial grading $S_0=k,S_i=\{0\}, i\neq 0.$ Let $M=k[x]/\langle x^2\rangle$ be the quotient of the polynomial ring in one variable over $S,$ with the natural grading. The only homogeneous prime of $S$ is $P=\langle 0\rangle,$ and it is certainly not possible that $M=(S/P)(l)\cong k$ for any shift $l.$

share|cite|improve this answer
thanks Andrew. If $S$ is a polynomial ring, is it possible? – Sang Cheol Lee Sep 7 '12 at 7:15
Take $M=S\oplus S$ for any $S$. – user18119 Sep 7 '12 at 11:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.