Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Has anyone found a good formula to convert a depth of fluid to a volume remaining in a tank for a cylindrical tank laying horizontal? (with or without half sphere end caps) Much Thanks!

share|improve this question

migrated from mathematica.stackexchange.com Sep 6 '12 at 15:41

This question came from our site for users of Mathematica.

Is this a mathematical or Mathematica-related question? If it is generally about math, this question should be migrated... –  Yves Klett Sep 6 '12 at 15:33
The version without half sphere end caps was asked here. –  Américo Tavares Sep 6 '12 at 16:11
(Pi*r^2)/2 + Sqrt[h]*(h - r)*Sqrt[-h + 2*r] + r^2*ArcTan[(h - r)/(Sqrt[h]*Sqrt[-h + 2*r])] –  belisarius Sep 6 '12 at 16:14
Not a duplicate: This tank has half-sphere end caps. –  Lord_Farin Oct 24 '13 at 10:30

1 Answer 1

You could see Wikipedia on the area of a circular segment and multiply by the length. If you want spherical end caps, see Wikipedia on a spherical cap. The two ends together make a sphere.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.