Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Question: Let $p(z)$ be a polynomial over $\mathbb{C}$. Is it true that $p:\mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}$ is a covering map ?

Partial answer: Let us look first at the points where $p'(z)\ne 0$. There the inverse function theorem tells us much more -- that $p$ is locally invertible, and the inverse is in fact holomorphic.

At the points where $p'(z) = 0$, however, $p$ will not be $1-1$ in any neighborhood, and certainly we cannot find an open neighborhood $U$ such that $p^{-1}(U)$ is a family of disjoint open sets, each homeomorphic to $U$.

Is the reasoning correct ? any comments are welcome.

share|cite|improve this question
Yes. If the degree of $p$ is not $1$, then $p$ will never be a covering map. However, for degree greater than $1$, if you remove the bad points, then you do get a covering map. – Zhen Lin Sep 2 '12 at 14:43
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Yes. $p$ defines instead a branched cover.

share|cite|improve this answer

The above answers are suffice for the purpose. I just want to remark that any polynomial $p(z)$ can be transformed by a suitable biholomorphic coordinate transformation $z=f(w)$ into $q(w)=w^{n}$(can you fill the detail yourself?). So you only need to deal with simple power maps.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks, that's helpful. – Teddy Sep 3 '12 at 7:05
OK, do you have a ref. for deriving that biholomorphic transformation ? – Teddy Sep 3 '12 at 13:29
Hint: search "fundamental theorem of algebra" and "winding number". – Bombyx mori Sep 3 '12 at 13:53
@Teddy: I don't think this is true. See here – Mike F Nov 25 '13 at 3:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.