Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a two points on the circle surface and I also know the center of the circle. I want to calculate the angle between those two points which are on the circle surface.

Is this formula is suitable to this situation?

$$\tan(\theta) = (y_2-y_1)/(x_2-x_1)$$

where $(x_1,y_1)$ are the one of the surface point $(x_2,y_2)$ is the other point on the surface.

share|improve this question
Well, you should shift your circle first so that it's centered at the origin, before you can use the formula for the tangent of the difference of two angles... –  J. M. Aug 23 '12 at 11:44
add comment

1 Answer

You have an isosceles triangle.

You can use cosine formula for calculation the angle.

$$c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab \cos(\alpha)$$

$a$ and $b$ are sides next to the angle $\alpha$, which are the radius of the center $r$. $c$ is the distance between the two points $P_1$ and $P_2$. So we get:

$$\left|P_1 - P_2\right|^2 = 2r^2-2r^2 \cos(\alpha)$$

$$\frac{2r^2-\left|P_1 - P_2\right|^2}{2r^2} = \cos(\alpha)$$

$$\alpha = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac{2r^2-\left|P_1 - P_2\right|^2}{2r^2}\right)$$

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.