Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the name of a planar graph in which every (inner) face has the same number $k$ of vertices? Something like $k$-uniform planar graph?

And is there a name for planar graphs in which every face has at most $k$ vertices?

share|cite|improve this question
Thanks, Kuba, I looked for such a tag but didn't find it. – Hans Stricker Aug 23 '12 at 8:30

If $k=3$ you call the graph a triangulation. If $k=4$ it is called quadrangulation. I am not aware of any other terms for a fixed $k>4$.

For a non-fixed $k$ you might say graphs with face-degree $k$. Or duals of $k$-regular graphs. How about $k$-gonalization?

share|cite|improve this answer
Is it still called a triangulation if the outside face isn't a triangle? – Gerry Myerson Aug 23 '12 at 12:37
@GerryMyerson: Well this depends. If you are coming lets say from the graph drawing or meshing community then you would probably still call it a triangulation. On the other hand, if your background is more on polytopes and graph theory then rather not. – A.Schulz Aug 23 '12 at 12:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.