Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let the universal set be $U$ which is represented as the rectangular frame. Set $A$, $B$ and $C$ are the 3 circles on the left top, right top and the bottom, respectively.

The first diagram represents the $U$. The second diagram represent the complement of $A \cap B\cap C$. Etc... But what is the set operation corresponds to the last Venn diagram below?

enter image description here

share|cite|improve this question
It's the empty set. As the empty set is unique the empty set notation would do, I guess. – Kasun Fernando Aug 16 '12 at 15:36
@KasunFernando: If you are sure why didn't post it as your answer? – kiss my armpit Aug 16 '12 at 15:42
It's the intersection of the 2 diagrams preceding it. – user2468 Aug 16 '12 at 18:34
up vote 3 down vote accepted

If the first one is the 'universe' $U$, the last is $U\setminus U = \emptyset$. The blank in the pictures means that we are subtracting something from the 'universe' $U$. As an example, the second figure, the blank is $A\cap B\cap C$, and therefore the orange remaining is $U\setminus (A\cap B\cap C)$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Kasun Fernando says in a comment, and I agree:

It's the empty set. As the empty set is unique the empty set notation would do, I guess.

The empty set is denoted by $\emptyset$ (\emptyset in $\TeX$) or $\varnothing$ (\varnothing).

share|cite|improve this answer

That is called the Ballantine operation.

Ballantine Ale

share|cite|improve this answer
I tried to downvote this answer, but the software wouldn't let me. – MJD Aug 16 '12 at 18:31
Stupid software doesn't let Mark downvote his own answer! – GEdgar Aug 16 '12 at 18:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.