Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm a bit confused - How is the Fourier transform of a measure on a compact abelian group defined? specifically the Fourier transform of a measure on $\mathbb{T}$ the unit circle in the complex plain.

share|cite|improve this question
This is developed quite thoroughly at, for example. Google is helpful with such an inquiry. – JavaMan Aug 8 '12 at 20:43
up vote 4 down vote accepted

If $\mu$ is a measure on the compact abelian group $G$ and $\gamma$ is in the dual group, $$\hat{\mu}(\gamma) = \int_G (-g, \gamma)\ d\mu(g)$$ In the case ${\mathbb T}$, the dual group is $\mathbb Z$, acting on $\mathbb T$ by $(n, \omega) = \omega^n$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.