Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the best way to denote tangent and other trigonometric functions: tg or tan, ctg or cot. What notation is commonly used and standardized?

share|cite|improve this question
FWIW: I'd not say $\tan$ and $\cot$ are "best", but they are the notation that more people understand than $\mathrm{tg}$ and $\mathrm{ctg}$. So, if you're writing for a wide audience, you might consider using the more popular ones. – J. M. Aug 7 '12 at 11:57
up vote 4 down vote accepted

In current US textbooks, $\tan$ and $\cot$ are commonly used and standardized. Also: $\sin, \cos, \sec, \csc$. In other countries, and in the 19th century, you will find others.

share|cite|improve this answer

Some people are familiar with tg and some people are familiar with tan.So, for wide use just define the notation.It solve your's problem I think.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.