Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a question regarding the notation of a space that I came across in a book. What is the definition of $C^0(X, Y)$, where $X$ and $Y$ and normed spaces?

share|cite|improve this question
What is the book? – Philip Brooker Jul 29 '12 at 11:21
Maybe it denotes the set of all the continuous mappings from $X$ to $Y$. – Paul Jul 29 '12 at 11:31

It's the standard notation (in French, at least!) for the set of continuous functions from $X$ to $Y$. It's often written simply as $\mathcal{C}(X,Y)$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.