Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The monoid is the set of all sets of integers (but reals or complex numbers could work too). Addition between two elements is defined as $a+b = \{\ x+y\ |\ x \in a,\ y \in b\ \}$. As far as I can tell, the only category of algebraic structures this fits into is monoids, since it's not a group.

Is this structure known or used anywhere, and does it have a name?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

This operation is called Minkowski addition. I'm not aware of any special name for the algebraic structure of $\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z})$ (or whatever) equipped with Minkowski addition though.

share|improve this answer

Another name for the operation is sumset, and it's studied in Arithmetic combinatronics.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.