Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been wondering if the following dot product definition for the $n$-coordinate vectors $a$ and $b$ has a name: $$<a\backslash b> = \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i*b_{n-i+1},$$ rather than the classical dot product: $$<a\backslash b> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i*b_{i}.$$ Did you already seen it use somewhere?

Thanks a lot.

share|cite|improve this question
Should it be $$<a\backslash b> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i*b_{n-i+1}?$$ – yoyostein Jul 19 '12 at 8:57
Yes, my mistake. Corrected, thanks. – wwjoze Jul 19 '12 at 9:00
you could write as $\langle a | X b \rangle$, where $X$ is antidiagonal unit matrix... maybe you can interpret this as scalar product in a space with metric $X$... – draks ... Jul 19 '12 at 9:06
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can diagonalize this bilinear form so that it becomes the sum of $p$ squares minus the sum of $q$ squares where $p$ and $q$ are $n/2$ rounded up and down, respectively. This is called a quadratic form of signature $(p,q)$, and the space in which this norm is the inner product is denoted $\mathbb R^{p,q}$. For example, see

share|cite|improve this answer

After a reindexing, I would call what you have a (discrete) circular convolution.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.