Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the, or what are the, technical terms for a function that produces a horizontal line (all inputs map to the same output), like $f(x) = 5$?

share|cite|improve this question
such a function is called constant. – martini Jul 16 '12 at 10:35
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It is a constant function. ${}{}$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.