Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

First question: $\iint\limits_{\Sigma}\left\{\left(\frac{\partial R}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial Q}{\partial z}\right)\,dy\,dz +\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial R}{\partial x}\right)\,dz\,dx +\left (\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\right)\,dx\,dy\right\}$ I am confused about the integral notation: I know that there is double integral, which has variable symbol, at here would be $\Sigma$, that is at the right side to the integral symbol, but I never heard of the integral that places the variable symbol at the center. So, what exactly is this integral, and how is this related to double integral or any type of integral?

Second question: What is double closed integral? How is this integral related to any type of integral?

share|cite|improve this question
It's just a surface integral ($\Sigma$ is the surface). – anon Jun 27 '12 at 16:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.