Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the litterature we see the terminology "multilinear form" or "$n$-form". I'm used to refer the word "form" to mean a homogeneous polynomial. but here we define it as a map $f:V^n\to F$, ($V$ is an $F$-vector space), such that $f$ is linear on each of its components. I'm confused by terminology, for example is there some connection between a bilinear form and a quadratic form?

share|cite|improve this question
If you write $n-$form with the hyphen INSIDE the $\TeX$ code, then it looks like a minus sign rather than a hyphen. I changed it to $n$-form. Similarly $F-$vector and $F$-vector. – Michael Hardy Jun 25 '12 at 23:08
The dictionary between symmetric bilinear forms and quadratic forms (outside characteristic 2) that Qiaochu mentions in his answer can be extended to symmetric multilinear forms and homogeneous polynomials using a process called polarization. See – KCd Jun 26 '12 at 3:16

If $B : V^2 \to F$ is a symmetric bilinear form, then $B(v, v) : V \to F$ is a quadratic form. If $F$ does not have characteristic $2$, then conversely if $q(v) : V \to F$ is a quadratic form, then $$B(v, w) = \frac{q(v + w) - q(v) - q(w)}{2}$$

is a symmetric bilinear form.

More generally, if $f : V^n \to F$ is a symmetric multilinear form, then (in sufficiently large characteristic) it can be (not quite canonically) identified with an element of the symmetric power $\text{Sym}^n(V^{\ast})$. This symmetric power lies in the symmetric algebra $\text{Sym}(V^{\ast})$, which one can think of as an abstract form of a polynomial ring (it is the ring of polynomial functions on $V$).

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.