Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Given a function $f(x)=y$ is correct to say that $f\left(\left[\begin{array}{c} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{array}\right]\right)=\left[\begin{array}{c} y_1 \\ y_2 \\ y_3 \end{array}\right]$?

share|cite|improve this question
Also, it is often more convenient to write $f([x_1,x_2,x_3]^T) = [y_1,y_2,y_3]^T$ in case of long vertical vectors. – dtldarek Jun 23 '12 at 11:21
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Yes, assuming that $x \in A^3$ and $y \in B^3$ for some suitable spaces $A,B$ you just give the explicit representation of those elements which is equivalent to actually writing $x$ or $y$.

If you want to make it even more formal you can say for example that the $x_i$ represent the coordinate entries of $x$, but that is common notation anyways and most people will understand it.

share|cite|improve this answer
Unfortunately $x\in R$ and $y\in R$. Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. – Paulo Fracasso Jun 22 '12 at 14:39
Do you mean $x,y \in \mathbb{R}^3$? Then the answer remains the same. Otherwise you have to explain how you define $[x_1,x_2,x_3] \in R$ – Listing Jun 22 '12 at 14:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.