Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A finite-state transducer is a generalization of a finite state machine that accepts an input string and produces an output string (instead of just accepting or rejecting). Is there a name for a function $f : \Sigma_1^* \rightarrow \Sigma_2^*$ that can be computed by a finite-state transducer? Functions of this form computable by Turing machines are typically called computable functions, and I was curious if there was an analogous term for FSTs.


share|cite|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It's called a Finite state transduc$tion$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.