Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The number of edges that need to be removed from a graph to disconnect it is called the edge-connectivity. Similarly, given a graph of genus $n>0$, there is a minimum number of edges that you have to remove to obtain a graph of genus $n-1$. Is there a name for this number?

share|improve this question
Not as far as I know, and I've been doing this stuff for a long time. It's an interesting question, although I suspect that unless you put some more restrictions on the graphs to be considered you won't get any kind of nice answer. –  Rick Decker Jun 11 '12 at 1:17
@RickDecker I was thinking that an alternative definition would focus on embeddings. Thus, given an embedding of genus $n$ (not necessarily a minimum genus embedding), I could ask for the minimum number of edges that need to be removed from the embedding to obtain an embedding of genus $n-1$. I am asking a related question here –  becko Jun 11 '12 at 1:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.