Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have discrete measured values $f_n$ and construct a smoothed series $g_n$ using the recursive formula $$g_0=f_0 \\ g_n=(1-\alpha)g_{n-1}+\alpha f_n$$ where $\alpha\in\langle0,1\rangle$ is a weight parameter ($\alpha=1 \Leftrightarrow f\equiv g$).

Is there some established name for this smoothing transformation?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes. Your algorithm is called 'exponential moving average', and it's quite common in stock price estimation.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks a lot! For the record, wikipedia has a section on it at – eudoxos Oct 22 '12 at 9:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.