Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the 1 that is carried called?

These are all Latin, would this make sense?

The Latin word for "carry" is "porto", would it be called Porto?

Just guessing here


  123  <-- Augend or Addend
 +  9  <-- Addend

   1   <-- What is this called?
 +  9

 +  9
  132  <-- Sum
share|cite|improve this question
Carriend? I don't recall that having a name. – Pedro Tamaroff Jun 2 '12 at 1:15
@PeterTamaroff I like the thought process with that answer! Was thinking Addend maybe? – Phill Pafford Jun 2 '12 at 1:16
I have seen it called "the carry." – André Nicolas Jun 2 '12 at 1:19
up vote 3 down vote accepted

They are referred to as carries in

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks! I think this is what I'm looking for but will keep it open for a little longer +1 – Phill Pafford Jun 5 '12 at 16:30
Wikipedia – sdcvvc Jun 9 '12 at 13:59

In compsci, when we add binary numbers, we call this the "carry bit."

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.