Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We can represent Absolute in terms of Max:

$|x| = \max(x, -x)$

but how to represent $\max(x, y)$ in terms of Absolute

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

Here's one way to do it: $$ \max(x,y) = \frac{x+y}{2} + \frac{|x-y|}{2} . $$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.